The Defend the Rivers of Stara Planina Movement was particularly active in the period between the end of 2018 and the end of 2019.
During that time, many protests took place in the villages of Stara planina and the village of Rakita (which belongs to the Municipality of Babušnica).
- 26 October – A protest in Babušnica against the continuation of construction works in Rakita. We have submitted requests to the Municipality of Babušnica, but we haven’t received a response.
- 2 September 2018 – The first mass environmental protest in Serbia, with almost 4,000 protesters took place in Pirot. At the protest, we expressed our requests and then submitted them to the Government and the President of Serbia. The requests were then forwarded to the Ministry of Environmental Protection. To this day, we still have not received a response.
- 27 January 2019 – DRSP organised a great environmental protest in Belgrade. It’s estimated that around 6,000 people took part in it.
- 31 May 2019 – DRSP organised a protest in front of the Unicredit Bank, who had granted a loan for the construction of the Zvonce SHPP in Rakita. We requested that the bank discontinue funding the SHPP construction.
- 21 September 2019 – A protest in Belgrade against the continuation of the construction of SHPPs.
- 29.09.2019.g protest u Toplom Dolu protiv najave investitora da planira da otpočne gradnju
Our protests will continue in 2020. Join us in our fight!
Defend the Rivers of Stara Planina (Balkan Mountains) Movement